Thursday, November 13, 2008

What can I say? He was the Walrus, but now he's John (Lennon).

John Lennon, according to Rolling Stone, is the fifth best Rock and Roll singer ever. John didn't like his voice, and so, Phil Specter produced a number of his albums, which processed John's voice through various Rube Goldberg devices to make it sound .... uh.....well..... "I don't Believe in Magic," "the dream is over," but I believe in John, and so, dear friends, we'll just have to carry on.

Here's my favorite John Lennon Song, sans Phil Specter. Such raw emotion. He deserves his ranking. Mother. "Mama don't go, daddy come home."


One actual Live John Lennon song is not enough. Instant Karma.
"Why on the earth are we here? Surely not to live in pain and fear."


All you people who (theoretically) read my (and kerfuffler's) blog, but don't listen to the music videos, I know you're out there. I understand if you don't like the early 20th century 12 tone stuff, or the punk rock, or the riot grrrrrls, but you should really make an exception and listen to these two beautiful John Lennon songs. No downside. Plus there's bonus Japanese captions. Everybody now--"We all shine on. Like the moon and the stars and the sun. On and on and on and on."

I have to do something to help the world be even slightly better. Why on earth are we here? Surely not to live in pain and fear.

One more, "Imagine." And the world will live as one. A guitar version! Usually, John played it on piano. So it's special. Alright?????

Now off to bed with me, to dream of anonymity. I remember, vividly, where I was when I heard that John Lennon had been shot. I was in a humanities class at the University of Utah. On the 2nd floor. Of some building that my brother James free-climbed. The name? Lost to history. I burst into tears; for me, the only possible response. Still. Good thing I have allergies to blame my red eyes on.

As an exercise for the reader, and to keep this post from being any longer, look up "Working class hero."

3 comments:

kerfuffler said...

Brace yourself for the sacrilegious question......Was he chewing gum while singing, or did he have a tic?

Steve said...

When are you going to post some Rob Zombie? ;-)

geebee said...

John did all sorts of things while singing: chewing gum, cursing Paul, damning Christianity, shagging Yoko, apologising...