Thursday, February 19, 2009
25 favorite things from the one and only Calla Lily
My (Djinn's) oldest, and I must say, it's about time prime numbers got their comeuppance.
1. My favorite smells are rain, stone, and dirt. Looove me some dirt.
2. My favorite word is "anthropomorphize" and I try to anthropomorphize things as often as possible.
2.5. My second favorite word is "haberdashery." Say it with me: "hab-er-DASH-er-ree." See? It's good.
2.75. I stole this numbering system from Katie. Very clever, Katie, fitting more things in like that.
3. My mother's apple muffins are the best in the world. This is not an opinion; this is a fact.
4. I'm very fond of transcendental numbers. I think it's because they transcend, although to be quite honest I'm not sure what exactly it is they transcend.
4 1/2. I dislike prime numbers. I know they're "cool" and "interesting," but really, they've been getting a lot of press, and I gotta tell ya, it's gone to their heads. They are very egotistical numbers.
5. I'm not very squeamish, and I've eaten some strange things in my life, but being served shrimp with the heads still on FREAKS me out. I don't know why, I just don't like it.
6. Fuck the FCC!!
7. My favorite quote: "Everything's already been thought. The trick is to re-think it." I think that's how it goes. That's me paraphrasing Newton. Or I'm 80% sure that's Newton. Damn. I have a lot of jokes memorized.
8. My favorite platitude: When life gives you AIDS, make lemonades!
9. I'm interested in the lines between things; life/death, life/not-life, art/not-art, art/porn, awake/asleep, male/female, etc.
9.1 Speaking of art, the reason I love art is because art knows people try to draw lines around it, and it actively (and gleefully) resists, and refuses to be categorized. I heart art.
10. I support Sam Adams!
11. "She read voraciously. I once caught her in the bath, after unexpectedly finishing a novel early, desperately reading the back of a Listerine bottle." Michael Chabon, Wonder Boys (which I'm now reading.) This quote made me laugh because that's me! I've read the back of every item in the bathroom due to boredom.
12. I passed my last math analysis class with an A-. I was drunk the whole time (hey; it's a night class). I'm not sure whether to be proud of this.
13. I found God: a glass of fine Italian wine, fine cheeses, a good cigarette, Ornette Coleman on the stereo, a friend, an interesting sky.
14. I'm delighted by the fact that my kitty has white whiskers except for one, all black whisker on his left side.
15. I have this rational fear I'm turning into my mother.
16. Sometimes, if it's late at night, and the light is just right, and I'm riding the bus, I'll spend the whole bus ride posing in the glass across from me, and think how fabulous I look.
17. (a) Every once in a while I'll pick my teeth in reflective glass on a building and only later realize it's that kind of glass that's only reflective on one side. I know I'm not the only one that does this.
17. (b) Sometimes I'll pick my teeth in glass that I know is reflective on only one side and not care.
18. There aren't many things in life that I truly hate. But I HATE, and I mean truly DESPISE automatic flush toilets. The reasons are too numerous to list here. I also hate genocide.
19. I thought Janis Joplin was black for really long time. Like, embarrassingly long.
20. My favorite activity is walking. I could walk for days and days and days and be happy. I am going to walk from one end of England to the other. This will happen one day. (It's a pretty small country. The routes I've looked at take 1-3 weeks. And you can stroll the whole time. And there are pubs every coupla miles. My kind of 'hike').
21. I once had an Irish man tell me that, yes, indeed, the Irish are the hairiest men on Earth, but don't worry, it's a fine, soft hair, good fer keepin' ya warm at night, and then he made me feel his leg. It's true; the hair was very soft.
22. I don't like chocolate. I don't know why.
23. One day, I would like to see the aurora borealis. I think I might find God there, too.
24. If I saw Buddha on the road, I don't think I'd have the heart to kill him.
25. There is nothing in this world I love more than my sisters.
25.2.0. I would give the world and more for them.