Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Blue Lobsters


(photo by Leslie Ricker)

Blue Lobsters are caused by a mutation that creates an excess of a certain protein. They used to think that such lobsters were a one in a million occurrence, but now believe they are twice as rare as that (one in two million).

Many years back, my husband got a postcard of a blue lobster from a friend who suffered from depression. On it it said that one in a million lobsters were blue, and on the back she added, "I wish I were blue once in a million lobsters!"

Brilliant!

BTW, isn't that lobster a looker?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful! The art nature produces sigh...but the evil side of me wonders if it tastes better ...

kerfuffler said...

I think they always throw them back now or put them in public aquariums.