Saturday, December 19, 2009

Song List

It dawned on me (after being told by a recievee) that those of you out there that received my Christmas CD might like a set list.

The thing is, each CD is pretty much different; not that clever on my part, I realize in retrospect.

Basically, there are two versions; Louder and Softer. If your CD has punk rock on it, that's a good indication that you got the more-or-less Louder version.

Here's the Louder list, more or less.
There's about enough music on the list for two cd's, so, obviously, your CD only has about half this music. The further down the list you get, the rarer the song is, I think.

Trim Your Tree -- Jimmy Butler: "Baby, I want to trim your Christmas tree..."
Silent Night-- Sufjan Stevens
Santa Claus-- Billy Childish and the Musicians of the British Empire: the sonics are mentioned at the beginning
A Gun for Christmas -- The Vandals; only on some CD's -- Headbanging Punk
Spotlight on Christmas -- Rufus Wainright "People love the working that does the best he can..."
White Christmas sung -- the late great Otis Redding
The original "You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch" -- sung by Thurl Ravenscroft, if you're interested
I Wish it Could be Christmas Everyday -- Severe " When the snowman brings the snow; Well he just might like to know ...
I Hate Christmas -- Snap-Her (You'll recognize it.)
Purple Snowflakes -- Marvin Gaye. It's the only song that features purple snowflakes and Marvin Gaye, you'll recognize it.
Please Come Home for Christmas -- Charles Brown, only on some CD's -- Blues
Merry Christmas--I don't want to fight tonight -- The Ramones.
Just Like Christmas by Low. On our way from Stockholm it started to snow.
At the Christmas Ball by Bessie Smith "Christmas comes but once a year....)
The Snow it Melts the Soonest sung by Anne Briggs; crystal-pure unaccompanied soprano
Just a lonely christmas sung by Diana Ross and the Supremes
So Much Wine by The Handsome Family (only on a few cd's) I had nothing to say on Christmas Day... Pop meets Deliverance.
The Christmas Song -- Leadbelly "Chicken crowing for midnight and its almost day."
2000 miles by The Pretenders; It's the one with Chrissie Hynde doing the vocals
River -- Joni Mitchell -- Thank you James.
Merry Christmas Baby -- Otis Redding (yes, again, but what is one to do?)
Holy, Holy, etc. -- Sufjan Stevens, again. I think most people only got one of Sufjan's songs. How do you pronounce that?
In the Bleak Midwinter -- Bert Jansch; Beautiful Baritone, guitar only.
Want a Present for Christmas -- Doc Bagley's Orchestra. Big Band, baby.
Mele Kalikimaka -- Bette Midler. Did you know that she was raised in Hawaii?
Hep Cat's Holiday -- The Cats and the Fiddler. I heard a snippet of this on some NPR show today.
Christmas Morning Blues -- Sonny Boy Williamson
Christmas 1979 -- Billy Childish and the Musicians of the British Empire, only on a few late-sent CD's
Merry Christmas, War is Over -- John Lennon
Fairytale of New York -- The Pogues (It was Christmas in the drunk-tank).
Jingle Bell Rock -- The Ventures, surf-rock instrumental
Let's Make Christmas Mean so Much -- James Brown
A Change at Christmas -- The Flaming Lips
Christmas Man Blues -- Bertha "Chippie" Hill
Empty Stocking Blues -- Floyd Dixon
Happy New Year -- Lightnin' Hopkins (you'll know it by the sweet menace in the voice.)
Oi to the World -- The Vandals


The Softer List.
Same rules as for the Louder list. I certainly made this much more complicated than I needed to.

Merry Christmas, I Don't Want to FghtTonight -- The Ramones, this song seems to have snuck over when I wasn't looking
Exulta Filia Syon -- Anonymous Four. Unaccompanied Hungarian choral music.
Christmas Time is Here --Vince Guaraldi Trio, it's from "A Charlie Brown Chrismas."
That Younge Childe & Adam Lay ybounden-- Westminster Abbey boys choir
Silent Night -- Sufjan Stevens
We're Goin' to the Country -- Sufjan Stevens (I know, but I love his Christmas music.)
The Holly and the Ivy -- Simon Preston and Westminster Abbey boys choir
This Little Babe -- Westminster Abbey boys choir
Who Took the Merry out of Christmas -- The Staple Singers
Thanks for Christmas -- XTC
Jingle Bell Rock -- The Ventures
Ave Spes Nostra -- Anonymous Four. More unaccompanied Hungarian choral music.
Santa isn't Here -- Crystalaires
A bit of Handel's Messiah
Just a Lonely Christmas -- Diana Ross and the Supremes
Corpus Christie Carol (for Roy) -- Jeff Buckley
If You Were Born Today -- Low
The Snow It Melts the Soonest -- Anne Briggs
Just Like Christmas -- Low
God Knows You've Got to Give to Get --El Perro Del Mar
It's Christmas! Let's Be Glad -- Sufjan Stevens
In the Bleak Midwinter -- Bert Jansh
You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch -- Thurl Ravenswood (such a great name).
River -- Joni Mitchell
Purple Snowflakes -- Marvin Gaye
Boogie Woogie Santa Claus -- Les Welch and His Orchestra
Hep Cat's Holiday -- The Cats and the Fiddler
At the Christmas Ball -- Bessie Smith
Mele Kalikimaka -- Bette Midler

Merry Christmas.

5 comments:

Sandy said...

LOVE this play list. Thanks for the CD. It is perfect listening music when you spend a lot of time w/someone who doesn't like holiday music. Incidently, she loves the play list too! I downloaded all the "Missing" tracks just so I can have the full Genie Holiday Music experience. A+++ And Happy holidays!

mfranti said...

genie,

what mix did i get cos those songs aren't appearing on my cd..

djinn said...

mfranti, I made you a mix of the songs that I thought you'd like. It's possible that I pulled some songs that are only on your list. But I don't think so, except for Amazing Grace by Sufjan Stevens. If you give me a description, I can tell you what the song is. If I do this again I'll try to provide a song list. (Crosses fingers.)

djinn said...

mfranti, I think you got random songs from both lists. Bet that's no help.

Allie said...

I dig.